Friday, July 13, 2012

Mattabesett Trail - Part 4

This hike occurred on July 9, 2012

Trail Heads:
Bear Hill Rd., Middletown, CT - same as the last post 

Aircraft Rd., Middletown, CT - same as the last post


Length/Distance: According to my GPS tracking program, our route was approximately 2.75 miles. According to the CT Walk book, the route was 2.5 miles long.  
Summary: For this hike, we did the Blue-Yellow trail (Bear Hill Loop trail) that goes starts under the power lines (about 0.2 miles from Bear Hill Rd) and ends a bit shy (0.1 miles) of Aircraft Rd. This was an easy, quick hike. It was a wide trail with minimal amounts of flora encroaching on the trail. I believe it was an old road at some point in time. Fairly early on in the hike, we came upon an old car, rusting away. There were a lot of bullet holes in the car door.  
Around this section of trail, it was clear that people ride dirt bikes through here often. Thankfully, it hadn't rained for a week or so otherwise this area would have been horrible!
I was very glad it wasn't muddy. My dog would have ended up looking something like this. And I would have looked like this
 There was something of a summit on this trail. There wasn't much of a view but the rocks looked cool. 
On our way down from the summit, we went through this really cool rock hallway. 
Anyway, that was our hike that day! 

Things to note: this is the first place I didn't shower after completing the hike. Instead, I went out to dinner with friends. The next morning, I noted that I probably really should have, especially when I found a tick attached to my leg. I removed it and checked my dog. He had a tick on him as well. So the lesson I learned was to shower after and never scrimp on the tick check! 

No comments:

Post a Comment