Friday, November 13, 2015

Summer/Fall 2015 CT AT hikes

August 9th and 10th, 2015
Start: Under Mountain Trail
End: Rt 7/112
Mileage: 15.0 (+ 2.0)

On August 9th, I hiked with friends from Under Mountain Road, up Under Mountain Trail to Riga Junction, and then south on the AT to Riga Shelter and campsite.

View from Riga Shelter
We camped out overnight there. The next day on August 10th, we hiked from Riga Shelter to Rt 7/112, passing by Lions Head, Giants Thumb, Rands View, and Mt Prospect.
1500 miles from Springer Mtn

Rands View
Due to bridge construction, there was a detour
We followed the road walk detour around the Iron Mountain Bridge and arrived at Rt 7/112.

November 11th, 2015
Start: Rt 7/112
End: West Cornwall Rd
Mileage: 6.7 (+4.0 wrong direction, +2.7 road walk)

I had the day off from work so I drove out to Rt 7/112's AT parking area. Originally, I'd planned to hike 6.7 miles of the AT through to West Cornwall Rd and then retrace my steps back to my car. I started out from the parking lot at 8:45am. Unfortunately, due to the detour, I accidentally followed the AT north, along the original AT (the other side of the bridge's AT portion). I realized my mistake when I arrived at the bridge construction site 3 miles later. I hiked back to Warren Turnpike and caught a hitch back to my car, rather than walk the rest of the way. I set out from the parking lot yet again at 10:30am, this time going south.
View from AT parking area
I passed by Belters Campsite, Sharon Mountain Campsite, and Pine Swamp Brook Shelter on my way to West Cornwall Rd. I climbed Sharon Mountain and slide my way through a baby Lemon Squeezer.
I arrived at the road around 1:10pm. I then walked down West Cornwall Rd until it intersected with Rt 7. I attempted to get a hitch but I didn't get anyone to pick me up until I hit Rt 7. I was able to get a ride back to the parking area, arriving by 2pm. I now have only 23 miles of CT left to complete - Old Sharon Rd to Hoyt Rd (CT/NY border). I currently plan to hike it in the spring with a friend over a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment