Monday, July 4, 2016

ME weekend #2, day 2

Saturday, July 2, 2016
Start: Moxie Bald Mountain Lean-to
End: ME 15/Monson
Miles: 17.9

After getting to sleep late (~9:45pm) due to SOBO noise, I woke up around 4:30am to the sun and drowsed on my sleeping pad until 5:30am. I broke camp and was on the trail by 6:15am.
I hiked by Bald Mountain Spring, Marble Brook, West branch of Piscataquis River, Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to, East branch of Piscataquis River, and Doughty Ponds.

Today, I saw 6 SOBOs, 2 weekend hikers, 3 day hikers, and 12 section hikers, including a crew of immensely polite Quebec teen boys out for a 17-day summer camp backpacking trip, from Moxie Bald to Katahdin. I let them borrow my phone to call back to base camp since their stove had died and their Verizon phone didn't get service.

I arrived at ME 15 (the south end of the 100-mile wilderness) by Monson at 2pm. I was able to get cell service 2 miles before the road and call my shuttle. The shuttle arrived by 2:15pm. Once I was back at the Sterling Inn, I showered and started my 5.5 hour drive back home. I decided to not stay the night since I had finished my hike much earlier than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment