Friday, April 7, 2017

MA AT shake down hike, day 1

Friday, April 7, 2017

Start: MA 23
End: Mt Wilcox South Shelters
Miles: 3.3

I left my car in Dalton and trekked to the bus stop, where I took a bus to Pittsfield (where I got a snack while waiting for my connecting bus) and then another bus to Great Barrington. It took me maybe 10 minutes to get a hitch from a passing car to drive me the ~3 miles to the trail.

I correctly picked the northern direction and headed out on the trail at 6:20pm from MA 23 (1050'). I climbed past Benedict Pond (1598') and along the Ledges (1820') until I got to the side trail for the shelters (1819') around 7:35pm as it was starting to get dark.

I decided on the further and newer of the two shelters, built in 2007. Some kind soul left behind some kindling and a fire log, so it's more festive. It's set to get down to ~30 tonight and I'm glad for my warm sleeping bag. So far, there's been a very curious flying squirrel here in the shelter that's been making a lot of noise and dodging out of my light. I suppose it's better company than bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment