Friday, December 29, 2017

NH 48 4000 footers: Hancock & South Hancock

Sunday, November 26, 2017
NH 4000 footers climbed: Mt. Hancock and Mt. South Hancock
Miles: 9.3  (total, out and back hike)
Elevation gained: 2547'
MapMyRun recording

I was up and out of the motel room by 7am, and started hiking by 7:45am. It was snowing quite fiercely and continued on for most of my hike, until around 12pm. I wore my microspikes after the first few miles of gentle walking through the forest alongside a brook.
After another mile or so, I came to the loop trail split. I went to the left and did the loop in a clockwise direction. I don't know that going in the anti clockwise direction  up to the peaks would have been better; they were both very steep. I made it to the peak of Hancock first, and the lookout had no visibility due to the snow storm.
I then hiked up to the peak of South Hancock. Once I got there, I put on my shell, dry gloves, and started hiking back down.
Along the way back down, I did get a few momentary glances of Hancock through the swirling snow.
I descended back to the original trail separation, took off my microspikes, and hoofed it back to my car, arriving by 12:45pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment