Monday, June 4, 2012

Mountain Laurel vs. Rhododendron

As I was examining my photos from my last hike, I became puzzled as my brain produced two names for the flowering plant I had seen. Was it a Mountain Laurel or a Rhododendron? So I began exploring the interweb. Turns out, they have a lot in common and do resemble each other which explains my confusion. The most obvious differences are:


  1. Leaves. Mt. Laurels have smaller, more delicate leaves. Rhododendron leaves are larger and have a waxy, leathery feel to them. 
  2. Flowers. Mt. Laurels have five-pointed white flowers with some pink highlights and look like tiny bowls. Rhododendron flowers come in many different colors (pink, red, white, etc) and have distinct petals in each flower.   
  3. Bark. Mt. Laurels have ribbed bark that peels. Rhododendron bark is fairly smooth. 

I borrowed this fantastic picture showing the differences from here

No comments:

Post a Comment