Friday, April 11, 2014

NY/NJ AT solo section hike, day 1

April 11, 2014

Start: CT/NY line, Hoyt Rd
End: Telephone Pioneer Shelter
Mileage: 10.0

A friend of mine was kind enough to drop me off at the CT/NY line around 3pm today. Despite the rain, I made good time and arrived at NY-22/Native Landscape/ AT train station (6.9mi) at 5:30pm. 
I ordered pizza and ate there on the covered porch of Native Landscape. 

 I then hiked another 2.1 miles to Telephone Pioneer Shelter, arriving at 7:15pm. Eating an entire pizza by yourself right before vigorously hiking is probably not recommended.
 

I'm currently dry and warm in the shelter in my sleeping bag (thanks for a great birthday present everyone).

Fun fact: I made cows stampede today. I never thought cows could be legit scary. I was wrong. Two dozen cows staring at you with exactly the same expression is creepy. And as I keep walking, they freak out and run around (not away from me but sometimes towards me). The thundering of cow hooves is loud and kinda scary, especially when they're running towards you.

Tomorrow should be nice and sunny. I'm looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment