Friday, June 27, 2014

NH AT section hike day #1

June 27, 2014
Start: Hanover, NH
End: Velvet Rocks Shelter
Mileage: 1.5 (+0.6 from train station,  +0.2 to shelter)

I started my hike from the White River Junction Amtrak station at 6:30pm. I walked to Rt10 so it would be a straight shot into Hanover. I hitched a ride very quickly. Unfortunately, the person who picked me up was intoxicated though it wasn't immediately evident. He had an open container in his lap and was slurring his words. We managed to get to Hanover safely and I quickly disembarked.

I then grabbed dinner at the Noodle Station. From there, I hiked ~1 mile to Velvet rocks shelter. There's two section hikers here, a newly married couple who started in NY and are ending after the Whites. There two guys out for the weekend and there's 10 DOC students.

The mosquitoes are horrible here. I'm seriously questioning my decision to skip the hammock. I'm hot but hiding in my 20 degree bag. I'm also questioning my decision to pack the 20 degree bag rather than the 40 degree bag. Well, hopefully I'll get to sleep okay and the Dartmouth kids will stop talking soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment