Sunday, June 29, 2014

NH AT section hike day #2

June 28, 2014
Start: Velvet Rocks Shelter
End: Hexacuba Shelter
Mileage: 27.2 (+0.2 & +0.3 for shelter side trails)

I started from Velvet Rocks at 5:45am. I climbed over Moose Mountain, Holts Ledge, and Smarts Mountain. I made it to Hexacuba at 6:10pm. Along the way, I took two 15 minute breaks; one at the Ice Cream Man's house (free ice cream, water, privy, and electricity) and one at the summit of Smarts.

Between the Ice Cream Man and some random trail magic (candy!!), it was a good (though very long) day. My calves protested the uphill portions a lot. I had Charlie horses in both my calves and thighs. I had some tums before bed so that should help. Tomorrow is a shorter day but I end by climbing Moosilauke,  which is going to be rough. 

At the shelter, there were more DOC kids, two thru hikers I didn't meet, and Bangerang who I had met earlier at the Ice Cream Man's house. The air was slightly cool and there were almost no bugs. I had a good night sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment