Sunday, September 7, 2014

NH AT section hike #2, day 2

Start: Galehead Hut
End: AMC’S Highland Center/Shapleigh Bunkhouse
Mileage: 14.7 (+2.6 extra)


I went to bed pretty early last night, falling asleep by 9pm. Someone had a nightmare around 4am and made enough noise to wake me up; in the morning, they said that they'd had a dream a bear broke into the cabin. I woke up at 6am and got my pack ready to go. The croo had tea, coffee, and hot cocoa out before breakfast started at 7am. I ate breakfast and headed out.

View of South Twin Mountain from the hut
I climbed up South Twin Mountain's North Spur (4902'). 
View from partway up South Twin
It was decently cold and windy so I quickly crossed the top and got under the tree line. 
View from South Twin's North Spur
Unfortunately, in my hast, I missed that the AT went to the right, not straight. I didn't realize this until I climbed up the South Spur; going there and back added 2.6 miles to today's hike. 
View of South Spur from North Spur
Once back on the trail, I went over Mt Guyot (4580'), Zeacliff (4084'), and then stopped by the Zealand Falls Hut (2630') for lunch.
View from Bondcliff trail


They had this delicious creamy tomato soup with quinoa and fresh rosemary as well as pumpkin chocolate chip bread that was amazing. From the hut, I passed by Ethan Pond Shelter (2860') and then ended the day at US-302/Crawford Notch (1277'), by Ripley Falls. 
Zeacliffs
View from Zeacliffs


I was able to hitch a ride fairly quickly the 3-4 miles to the AMC’S Highland Center/Shapleigh Bunkhouse where I'm staying tonight.

The bunkhouse has a shower and electricity so I'm happy. Though to get wifi and food, I have to be at the main building. But it's available! That's what counts. Granted, at dinner they gave me 6 pieces of silverware... that seemed very strange. I suppose it goes with the wine menu... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment