Wednesday, September 10, 2014

NH AT section hike #2, day 4

Start: Lake of the Clouds hut
End: Pinkham Notch/Joe Dodge Lodge
Mileage: 14.9

Last night I went to sleep fairly early; I was in bed by 9pm and asleep by 9:30pm. I slept until 6am and I got up and put my pack together so I could leave right after breakfast. After breakfast, I said goodbye to my new acquaintances and hit the trail by 7:30am. It was a sunny, lightly breezy day with high visibility; you couldn't ask for nicer weather.
Early morning at Lake of the Clouds
View of Lake of the Clouds hut from partway up Mt Washington
After starting at Lake of the Clouds hut (5012'), I was at the peak of Mt Washington (6288') by 8:30am. At the peak, it was around 40 degrees with another 10-20 additional degrees of wind chill.  I spent half an hour relaxing, taking pictures, and changing into less warm clothes since the sun had started to warm things up.





From there, I headed down to Edmunds Col (4938'), the intersection with the Israel Ridge path (4313'), Thunderstorm junction (5500'), and then Madison Spring hut (4800'). 
The Cog railway tracks

Cog railway
Cog railway
View of Mt Clay, Mt Jefferson, Mt Adams, and Mt Madison

View of Mt Clay, Mt Jefferson, Mt Adams, and Mt Madison






View from Gulfside & Airline trail intersection
View of Monroe, Ammonoosuc Ravine, & Boott Spur
I stopped at the hut for some lunch; they thoughtfully had tomato lentil soup in addition to their turkey soup. I had a hot bowl of soup with some wheat bread and peach coffee cake. From the hut, I climbed Mt Madison (5366').

View from Madison
Another view from Madison, with Mt Washington in the background
After that, it was a long, long hike downward; it seemed to take forever. 
The trail follows the ridge. The trail markers are entirely made of cairns and the footing was very unstable.
View of Mt Washington and Mt Madison (right)
View of Mt Washington (left) and Mt Madison (center)
I passed by the Osgood tentsite (2540') and the West Branch of the Peabody river (2300'). 
Then I climbed to Low's Bald Spot (2860') and from there, decended to Pinkham notch and Joe Dodge Lodge (2050'). I arrived at 5pm.




I was sad to see the hike finish though my right elbow, knees, and feet were perfectly happy to be done. I had a shower, followed by a nice dinner and chats with fellow guests. Tomorrow, I'll have breakfast early and then catch the AMC shuttle back to Lincoln and my car. And from there, home!

No comments:

Post a Comment