Sunday, August 16, 2015

NH/ME AT section hike, day 5

Start: Pine Ellis Hiker Lodge, Andover
End: camping beyond Old Blue Mountain
Mileage: ~14.4

Today, we started our day at the hostel. We got a shuttle out to the trail head and got on the trail by 7:15am.

We hiked up Wyman Mountain (2,920'), down into Sawyer Notch (1,095'), up over Moody Mountain (2,440'), down to South Arm Road (1,410'), and then up Old Blue Mountain (3,600').

We arrived at the summit of Old Blue by ~4pm. The companions I was traveling with wanted to stay the night at the summit and camp out under a tarp. Due to a number of reasons, I decided I'd rather spend the night below the tree line. I hung out with them at the summit until 5:45pm and then went ~1.5 miles to the first water source, where I found a previously used camping spot.

I quickly set up my tent as I could hear thunder in the distance. I put myself and my things inside just in time to avoid a massive downpour. I enjoyed a relaxed dinner and dessert (Flipz dark chocolate pretzels and a homemade woopie pie - delicious) in my tent. Tomorrow morning, I'll be waiting for my companions to hike by so I can join them. Which means I can sleep in for a bit tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment