Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Maine AT hike, day #4

Tuesday, August 15, 2017
Start: Cooper Brook Lean-to
End: Rainbow Stream Lean-to
Miles: 29.6
Elevation gained/lost: 3025'/2933'
Listening to: Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive #2); Alcatraz versus the Knights of Crystalia by Brandon Sanderson.

The folks in the lean-to were up early, around 5:30am. I got up and was on trail by 6:20am.

Today was predominately "flat" - ground full of rocks, roots, 50' +/-, and mosquitos. The mosquitoes gave me incentive to hurry along on my way. So I ended up arriving at my original destination at 2:30pm. Rather than take it slowly and relax at the sandy beach, I decided to push on to the next shelter - more than 8 miles away.

Those miles involved a sharp elevation gain of more than 1000' in a very short distance, up Nesuntabunt Mountain (1520') where I had a beautiful view of Katadin. There was also a fair amount of elevation gain/loss in other parts of that 8 miles. Because I felt pushed for time, I didn't stop to take care of my body like I should have. I didn't drink enough water, I got chafed, and I got two blisters my right foot. I will pay for my foolishness for days...

I did manage to arrive by 6:30pm, maybe half an hour before the thunderstorm and rain rolled in, and there was space in the lean-to, despite all of the thru-hikers here.

My current plan is to hike the 15.0 miles to Abol Bridge and see about procuring a cabin to myself. If not, I'll see about camping out. In any case, tomorrow should be a short day and very light on miles and elevation. I'm hoping to do my laundry at Abol Bridge and chow down in their restaurant. Then the next morning, I'll hike to Baxter and sign up for the Birches first thing in the morning. And then summit the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment