Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Fall AT section hike, day #11

Tuesday, October 4th, 2016
Start: Whitetop Mountain Rd
End: Damascus, VA
Miles: 22.1

This morning, I got a ride with three fellows off to start a NOBO section hike from Whitetop Mountain Rd (5087'). They didn't leave the hostel until 8am or so, but it was a free shuttle so I was happy. I started hiking at 9am and arrived back in town by 4:15pm.

Over the course of the day, I passed by Lost Mountain and Saunders shelters. I passed by Buzzard Rock (5080'), VA 601 (3526'), US 58 (3160'), VA 728 (2781'), Beartree Gap trail (3050'), Taylors Valley trail (2407'), US 58 again (2200'), Iron Mountain trail (2913'), and then down to Damascus.

Towards the end of my hike, my remaining pole from the original set broke in the same way as the other one did yesterday. I went by Mt Rogers Outfitters and talked to Lumpy. I gave him back the single pole he gave me and bought a set of cheap-ish new ones (and he gave me 10% off). I also arranged for a shuttle to Whitetop Mountain Rd tomorrow morning, since the hostel told me before I left for the day that they weren't sure when they could take me since they had a long shuttle already scheduled. I went to another outfitter to get Bodyglide since Mt Rogers Outfitters was out. I also stopped by the dollar store to get two cheap knee braces that will provide a light compression and keep them warm, as they're getting a bit creaky, especially on the downhill.

I managed to get back to the hostel in time to get the 5pm shuttle to the grocery store. I decided to cook up a big meal for myself - I got avocado, 5-grain mix, kale, onion, mushrooms, and tempeh strips. Also, manzanilla olives. I ate most of what I made and packed up the rest for tomorrow's breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment