Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Fall AT section hike, day #18

Tuesday, October 11th, 2016
Start: Wapiti Shelter
End: Cross Ave/VA 634 - Pearisburg
Miles: 17.9 (+0.5 for side trails; ~2.0 road walking around town)

When I woke up this morning at 6:45am, it was ~40 degrees. I did my morning routine, and also gave Ray my fuel cannister since his died this morning. In thanks, he made me some tea. It was a welcome bit of warm in my belly before I headed out. I was out on trail by 7:45am.

I climbed up to a view (3896') from Wapiti Shelter (2603'). From there, I climbed past the radio tower (4027'), then down to Sugar Run Gap (3395'). I then climbed to another view (3910'), then down past Docs Knob Shelter (3541') to a spring (3150'). From there, I climbed up to a view (3693') and then Angels Rest (3550'); then went down, down, down to Cross Ave/VA 634 (2019') and Pearisburg.

I managed to make Cross Ave by 4pm, and walked to the post office over a mile away by 4:20pm, with only 10 minutes to spare before they closed. They were very friendly and helped me ship my trekking poles, water treatment chemicals, and tent poles/stakes home. After that, I walked over to Angel's Rest hiker haven; I was surprised to find no one there. I took a shower, changed clothes, left a note and $4, and then headed out to the Food Lion and the AYCE Chinese buffet. I stopped off at Food Lion for a few drinks (sweet tea, powerade, and a mango smoothie). I drank the tea and the smoothie and saved the powerade for later. I may have overdone the buffet but I did only manage to have 2 platefuls. Now I shall bum around the plaza until my ride gets here in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment