Tuesday, June 16, 2015

VA AT hike #1, day 3

Start: Dicks Dome shelter
End: Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel
Mileage: 19.0 (+0.7 in side trails)

I headed out from the shelter at 6:30am. It was much cooler and less humid than the last two days. I went by Manassas Shelter around 8:15am with a very nice piped spring for water. I took a half hour break around 11am at the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter (which was very nice!). After I hit US 522, I climbed for ~4 miles, finally ending within the SNP boundary. I took the Compton Gap side trail to the hostel.

Today was a much easier day than the past two. While the elevation gained was similar, it didn't feel like it. The weather was nicer; humidity less; and more breezy, especially as I climbed higher. I ate lots of food here at the hostel, did laundry, and showered. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, as I begin to hike through the Shenandoahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment