Monday, June 22, 2015

VA AT hike #1, day 8

Start: Blackrock Hut
End: Rockfish Gap
Mileage: 20.7 (+0.8 side trail and around town)

I woke up early (5:15am), since I went to bed early (8:30pm). I slept pretty well, all things considered. I was packed up and on the trail by 6:15am. I made really good time and arrived at Rockfish Gap/I-64 at 3:15pm.

Today, I hiked over Little Calf Mountain and Bear Den Mountain. I saw a third bear as I was crossing Skyline Drive; it was going north and I, south.

When I arrived at Rockfish Gap, I debated going into Waynesboro. I'd been told they had an AYCE buffet that was tasty. While I debated, a truck pulled up and out came two AT hikers. The fellow offered me a ride into town so I took it. He dropped me off at the CVS where I got a few things before heading to the buffet. My friend picked me up from the buffet around 5:15pm. And thus my hike was complete!

It was an adventure and I seem to have found some modicum of moderation. I met many amazing people while hiking the trail. I encountered many small bits of trail magic and one big act of a trail angel in giving me a replacement trekking pole. I enjoyed many amenities along the trail during this trip and was happy for them. I'm looking forward to my next AT hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment