Friday, June 19, 2015

VA AT hike #1, day 6

Start: Big Meadow Lodge
End: Smith Roach Gap
Mileage: 21.6 (+0.2 side trail)

I slept in this morning a bit, getting up at 6:15am. I chatted with my friend and we got breakfast in the dining room when it opened up at 7:30am. I was on the trail for a later start by 8:30am.

Today, I climbed up Hazeltop and Hightop Mountain. My original miles were 17.0 but I made some quick miles and arrived at my final destination by 3pm. I decided to push on and hike 4.6 miles further to the next road crossing and arrived at 5:15pm.

Today's miles were a bit dull compared to the past two days. It was fairly cool (70s and 80s) but it was overcast and muggy. I encountered two thunder storms with turential downpours between 4pm and 6:30pm, as I waited for my friend to arrive to bring me into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment