Wednesday, June 17, 2015

VA AT hike #1, day 4

Start: Front Royal Terrapin Station Hostel
End: Brookside Cabins
Mileage: 23.9 (+0.5 side trail)

This morning at the hostel, I was up and out by 6:30, getting to the AT by 6:45. I had wonderful sleep last night and started my day in a good mood. The weather was cool (70s) and sunny. Sadly, that changed by 8am when it began to rain. It was rainy, overcast, hot-ish (mid-80s), and humid for the remainder of the day. Thankfully, the hike itself was very smooth.

Today, I went over 8 peaks today, for a total of 6 different mountains, 5 of which were over 3000'. Those included: Compton Peak, North Marshall Mtn, South Marshall Mtn, Little Hogback Mtn, Hogback Peaks 1, 2, & 3, and Pass Mtn. And while I huffed and puffed my way up some small parts, overall it was the smoothest, easiest elevation I've ever done. I finished my miles by 5pm, including an hour break for lunch at the Elkwallow Wayside. I also saw a black bear.

Though some creative manuveuring, I arrived at Brookside Cabins around 7pm. I've eaten at their restaurant and I'm all ready for sleep! Here's to hoping tomorrow will be less rainy.

No comments:

Post a Comment