Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Spring 2017 AT hike, day #11

Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Start: Standing Indian Shelter
End: Dicks Gap/Top of Georgia hostel
Miles: 16.7

I woke up this morning around 5:45am due to the rude section hiker who got up, using his cell phone flashlight to take his pack down and start cooking. He made no effort to avoid shining the light in everyone's eyes. I got up earlier than I wanted and was on trail by 7am.

From the shelter (4742'), I descended to Deep Gap (4341') and then climbed to ~4800'. I descended to Wateroak Gap (4490'), stopped in for a quick stop at Muskrat Creek Shelter (4562'), descended to Sassafras Gap (4300'), and climbed to Couthouse Bald (4708'). From the bald, I passed by the NC-GA state line, and then descended to Blue Ridge Gap (3090'), climbed to As Knob (3144'), passed by Plumorchard Gap Shelter (3144'), climbed up to Buzzard Knob (3679'), and then descended to Cowart Gap (2900'). From there, I climbed to ~3300' and then descended to Dicks Creek Gap (2675'). I arrived at the gap by 1:45pm.

When I arrived at the gap, a shuttle for the Top of Georgia hostel was in the parking area. They took me to the hostel and greeted me with the choice of free beverage. The folks who run the hostel are nice people, which is saying something given that they've dealt with 10,000 hikers over the past 3 years. The young puppies here don't appreciate what they have in this hostel. They chafe under the basic hostel rules and complain about it constantly.

The pouring rain all day today provided ample encouragement to keep moving. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow too, but at least it'll be a slack packing day. With all I can eat cereal in the morning too!

No comments:

Post a Comment