Friday, May 19, 2017

Spring 2017 AT hike, day #7

Friday, May 19, 2017
Start: Fontana Dam shelter
End: Sassafras Gap Shelter
Miles: 21.9

Today I woke up around 6:10am and headed out by 6:55am.

I climbed from the shelter (1853') up to ~3800' and then descended down to Cable Gap Shelter (2878'). I climbed up to Brushnell knob (3928'), past Brown Fork Gap Shelter (3813'), up to ~4000, and then down to Stecoah Gap (3165') (my original destination). I then climbed up to Cheoah Bald (5062'), and then down to Sassafras Gap Shelter (4391').

My IT band started giving me a lot of trouble today. I spent most of the day keeping my right leg as straight as possible, with lots of immediate feedback about my technique. It was also hot and humid, making it very hard to keep up with water needs of the body.

I arrived at Sassafras Gap Shelter around 6:45pm. I was going to stay in the shelter but there are four men there already and the bugs are awful. I set up my tent and didn't open the door until bugs had settled down a bit. I ate dinner and got myself settled by around 8:45pm. Tomorrow will be a lighter day in terms of miles, which I appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment