Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Spring 2017 AT hike, day #3

Monday, May 15, 2017
Start: Stateline Branch 
End: Tri-Corner Knob Shelter
Miles: 16.8

I had a great night sleep in my tent, waking up at 6:30am feeling good. I packed up and headed out by 7:30am.

I climbed slow and steady from Stateline Branch (1698') up to the GSMNP boundary (1975') and then past Davenport Gap Shelter (2591'). From there, I kept climbing, up to Mt Cammerer (4950'), and then descended to Low Gap (4242'), climbed past Cosby Knob shelter (4766'), up to maybe 5200', and down to Camel Gap (4674'). I climbed past Yellow Creek Gap (5902') and Deer Creek Gap (6054'), up to Guyot Spring (6302'), and then headed down to Tri-Corner Knob shelter. I got there by 4:45pm.

At the very start of my hike this morning, I had a massive nosebleed. I got it under control but my handkerchief took a hit. I rinsed it out mid morning and hung it on the back of my pack and it was dry by lunchtime.

So tonight has been less than optimal. The shelter is full up with thru hikers. So many of them are loud, obnoxious, and won't stop talking. It's 8:30pm and people are still arriving. There were very few camp sites and they were taken early, with the assumption the shelter would fill up (which it did). I doubt I'll sleep well tonight. *sigh* It might be satisfying to wake people up tomorrow morning... but we'll see. I have a light day tomorrow that will get me into Gatlinburg, where they have a Mellow Mushroom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment