Sunday, May 21, 2017

Spring 2017 AT hike, day #9

Sunday, May 21, 2017
Start: Tellico Gap
End: Rock Gap
Miles: 23.1

I was up this morning at 6:10am and ready to leave by 7am. Unfortunately, due to some confusion around shuttling this morning, I didn't get to Tellico Gap until around 8:45am. It started raining last night and then poured rain until around 2pm today. Despite the rain, I managed to make some quick miles.

I started at Tellico Gap (3850') and climbed to Rocky Bald (5030') and Copper Ridge Bald (5080'). I then descended to Burningtown Gap (4236'), hiked up to Wayah Bald (5342'), down to Wayah Gap (4180'), up to Siler Bald (5001'), and then down to Winding Stair Gap (3690'). Since I got there at 3:30-ish, I decided to push onward to the next gap. I climbed up to ~4400 and then descended to Rock Gap (3732').

I got to the gap by 4:45pm. Unfortunately, there was intermittent horrible cell service. I did manage to get out a text to the hostel owner around 5:15pm, asking if he was available for a shuttle. I tried to hitch for 1.25 hours before someone stopped for me. Just as we started to pull away, the hostel owner showed up so I jumped out. His dogs were with him and he has taken them out for a walk. Perhaps I should have taken the hitch... in any case, I do have a ride back to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment