Sunday, September 20, 2015

MD/PA hike, day 2

Sunday, September 20, 2015
Start: Ed Garvey Shelter
End: Ensign Cowall Shelter
Mileage: 24.8 (+0.2 for view and 0.2 for water)

I started out on the trail this morning by 7:15am. In the morning, I still didn't feel like walking the 0.8 miles to the shelter's water source. So I snagged some water from my shelter mates and hoofed it to Gathland State Park, the next source of water. Over the course of the day, I passed by 3 shelters and 3 official tentsites. I climbed White Rock Cliff (1606'), Lambs Knoll (1751'), Washington Monument  (1550'), Annapolis Rocks (1820'), and Black Rock Cliffs (1821').

The terrain today was relatively easy, though a bit rocky in places. In my travels, I happened upon no fewer than 2 flush toilets, on trail. There were dozens upon dozens of people day or weekend hiking on the AT. I'm looking forward to less people on the trail as the weekend draws to a close.

I arrived at my destination at 5:30pm. I made the executive decision to set up my tent, rather than risk share a shelter. While putting my food and smellables on the bear pole, I ended up chatting for half an hour with the shelter's only occupant, Chuck, who is section hiking. I'm now happily curled up in my tent, and looking forward to sleeping however I want in the quiet (as quiet as it can be, given a busy road is only 0.2 trail miles away).

No comments:

Post a Comment