Wednesday, September 23, 2015

MD/PA hike, day 5

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015
Start: Pine Grove Furnace State Park/Ironmasters Mansion Hostel
End: Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse/Boiling Springs
Mileage: 19.2 (+0.4 for Allenberry)

I had a relatively good night sleep at the hostel, though the exit sign glowed very brightly. I was mostly awake by 5am but made myself drowse until 6:20am. I was up and ready to go by 6:30am. One of the caretakers came downstairs at 6:45am to set out breakfast. I ate and hit the trail by 7:15am.

Today's terrain was mostly flat and gentle. There were some sections with rock scrambles but overall, it was easy. Water was readily available. Today, I climbed Pole Steeple (1300') and Center Point Knob (1060'). I passed by James Fry/Tagg Run Shelter and Alex Kennedy Shelter.

I arrived in Boiling Springs at 3:15pm. I visited the ATC Mid-Atlantic Regional Office and then headed to Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse, only 0.4 off the AT. Allenberry had space for me and housed me in a nice double room for only $40, hiker rate. I got dinner at their restaurant; they kindly made me a veggie pasta dish, despite having nothing on the menu that was veggie other than a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment