Thursday, September 24, 2015

MD/PA hike, day 6

Thursday, September 24th, 2015
Start: Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse/Boiling Springs
End: Duncannon/The Doyle
Mileage: 25.6 (+0.4 from Allenberry)

This morning, I was up and on the road by 7am. I enjoyed a sticky bun for breakfast before leaving. I was on the trail by 7:15am. The first ~13 miles was flat, predominately walking through farm fields which, while easy, ended up soaking my boots with dew.

Today, I passed by Scott Farm Trail ATC Crew Headquarters, Darlington Shelter, and Cove Mountain Shelter. I climbed up to Darlington Trail (1271'), an unnamed view (1335'), and down Hawk Rock (992'). I had a section of 6 miles that were pretty rocky which made it more challenging to make quick miles.

I arrived in Duncannon at 4:30pm. I made the (perhaps questionable) choice to stay at the Doyle since my feet hurt and I couldn't imagine hiking anymore. One of the owners gave me a ride to the grocery store to resupply. My room is... a room the size of a walk-in closet with a bed. I'm chosing to believe the sheets were washed since they were last used. The one bathroom/shower... has water constantly dripping from the ceiling directly into the shower stall. The owners also make me feel on - edge; because of that, I decided to eat elsewhere in town. Regardless, it's a resupply, shower, bed, electricity, and roof over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment