Friday, November 24, 2017

NH 48 4000 footers: Waumek

Friday, November 10, 2017
4000 footers climbed: Mt. Waumbek
Miles: 7.2 (total, out and back hike)
Elevation gained: 2805'
MapMyRun recording

After working remotely until 2pm from Rattle River Hostel, I headed out and got to the trailhead by 2:30pm. The directions I'd received online were sound, as they specifically mentioned the road to the trailhead was very rough and might be challenging for cars without a lot of ground clearance. It had snowed in the night, dropping a few inches of snow, and was very cold (high of maybe 20 degrees); it was 8 degrees by the time I finished my hike. I headed out from the trailhead by 2:45pm.
This mountain was quite easy. It was a few miles out and a few miles back, with relatively smooth elevation gain.
The trail goes across Mount Starr King before heading to Mt Waumbek. Near the peak, there's an old chimney/fireplace. The sun was starting to go down by the time I arrived at that peak.
I quickly hiked to the peak of Mt Waumbek and then hiked maybe 50 yards beyond the summit for a better view.
From here, I turned around and headed back the way I'd come. I returns to my car around 6:15pm, long after the sun had set. I spent the last our hiking by headlamp. It was also cold enough my water bottles froze completely shut by the time I was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment