Friday, May 2, 2014

NY-NJ AT solo section hike #2 - day 2

May 2nd,  2014

Start: William Brien Memorial Shelter
End: Wildcat Shelter
Mileage: 19.6

I started out at 6:15am from the shelter. I hiked over Goshen Mountain, Surebridge Mountain, Lemon Squeezer, Agony Grind, Buchanan Mountain, and Mombasha High Point. There was a lot of climbing today, as expected.

Right before Lemon Squeezer there was a portion of the trail that went over some huge boulders with a substantial drop (over 8 feet). There was a very helpful sign letting me know I could go around. 
Of course, I decided that I'd give the "hard way" a try. It was definitely challenging and I was glad of my modest rock climbing skills. 
Lemon Squeezer was as promised. 



I passed by a very nice lake. 

Towards noon, I felt really tired and worn down. I then found trail magic! Someone had left water jugs and a cooler full of food and drinks. It was just what I needed at that moment. A few miles after, I had to ford a river which had risen above the crossing rocks. I went through with my boots on (maybe not the best idea) but I was worried about falling or losing my shoes. I then changed socks a few miles later.

Along the trail, there was a very beautiful waterfall with multiple cascades. 

I arrived at the shelter at 4pm. I joined two section hikers, Seeker and Moody9. We chatted quite a bit, discussing the trail and our hikes. Moody9 is from Southern Georgia and is doing the AT in sections. Seeker is from NY and did an AT through hike in 2010 She's hiking the NY Long Path and decided to detour onto the AT for a bit.

At 6:30, three hikers arrived at the shelter. They're from Wisconsin; two of them will be hiking for another two and a half months on the AT. Seeker helped one of them shake down their pack to lighten their load.
I'm feeling pretty decent right now; with some good sleep, I think I'll be ready for tomorrow. There will be a few more miles but much less climbing. My feet are a bit blistered but hopefully, my feet will settle down over night.

I enter NJ tomorrow morning! Only 8 more miles until I'm all done with NY!

No comments:

Post a Comment