Friday, May 23, 2014

VT section hike #3, day 3

May 23, 2014
Start: VT 103/Rutland
End: Inn at Long Trail
Mileage: 16.7

I started my day with a nice continental breakfast at the Days Inn. I caught the Bus at 7:15am and was on the trail at 7:45am. I passed by Clarendon Shelter and Beacon Hill pretty early on. This was followed by a few roads and some impressive (on my part) stream/brook/river crossings. I managed to avoid taking off my boots and fording any of the crossings but only through a lot of ingenuity and some acrobatics. Sometime around here, I heard two moose either arguing or gossiping; very loudly.

I then passed by Governor Clement Shelter and then climbed and climbed. Eventually (around 1:15), I made it to Cooper Lodge at the top of Killington; at 3900 feet, it was the highest point of my entire hike and I believe the highest point on the VT AT. There was still snow on the ground! At the Lodge,  I met two trail maintenence crew members, stirring an huge vat of poop. We chatted for a while and then I headed out. From here, it was 2.5 miles to Jungle Junction and Sherburne Pass Trail. I took Sherburne Pass Trail past Pico Camp and down to the Inn at Long Trail. I arrived at 3:45pm.

It started raining lightly around 9:30am; it continued off and on until 1:15pm when it began to rain in earnest, flooding the majority of the trail. It continued to rain until after I arrived at the Inn. Who knew just how slippery rocks and roots could be when covered in rain water?

I had a nice dinner, dessert, and beer, coupled with a good visit with my aunt and her partner. Tomorrow, I'll have breakfast here (included in the room) and then head out for a short day (18.5). Only one more night on the trail after this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment