Thursday, May 22, 2014

VT section hike #3, day 2

May 22, 2014
Start: Peru Peak Shelter
End: VT 103/Days Inn, Rutland
Mileage: 22.3

Today,  I left the shelter at 6:20am. I hiked by Griffith Lake, up Baker Peak, past Lost Pond, Old Job, and Big Branch Shelters. I made very good time and made it to the roughly half way point of Little Rock Pond and shelter (9.7 miles) by 9:50am. I then passed by Greenwall shelter, Sugar Hill Road and VT 140. After VT 140, there was a long climb up a no-name peak. I then arrived at the originally intended shelter for the evening, Minerva Hinchey Shelter,  at 2pm.

Given how early it was, I decided to press on and put in a few more miles. I did 2.7 more miles and arrived at VT 103 at 3:15pm. From there, Rutland was only 6 miles away. Because of today's rain and the fact that there is a local bus route that will drop me off at this trail head in the morning,  I decided to go into town and get a hotel room.

It took 20 minutes to get a hitch into town but once here, I was able to get a room, wash my clothes, shower, eat at Dennys, and then pick up a few things from Hannaford's. As of now, my clothes are drying and I'm enjoying the soft bed.

Tomorrow,  I'll be up around 6am, packing up,  eating a very elaborate continental breakfast, and walking across the street to catch the 7:15am bus to the trail head. Thanks to today's extra miles, I'll only have 16.7 miles to complete tomorrow. I'm looking forward to ending early at the Inn at Long Trail and spending time with my aunt and her partner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment