Sunday, May 4, 2014

NY-NJ AT solo section hike #2 - day 4

May 4th, 2014

Start: Jim Murray's property
End: Gren Anderson shelter
Mileage: 18.3 (+3)

After a refreshing evening at Jim Murray’s with good company and a hot shower, I felt much more prepared for today. Because of yesterday's long miles,  today was scheduled to be much shorter. Unfortunately, it only turned out to be partly true. 
View first thing in the morning
 

The largest climb of the day (and the hike) to High Point Monument (1500) wasn't too bad. The issue became a misunderstanding on my part; I thought the trail went to the monument (it does not). The trail markers were not clear and I got confused. I ended up following the wrong path almost 2 miles in the wrong direction. As I figured out that I was on the wrong path in the wrong place, I nearly had a panic attack. I managed to talk myself down and using two different maps and my phone's GPS, I was able to find my way back. But not until I'd wasted two hours.
View from Sunrise Mountain
None the less, I was able to finish my hike at the shelter today by 4pm. This allowed me time to soak my blistered feet in a sandy, ice cold spring and dry my clothes since there were a few rain showers this afternoon. This shelter also had the nicest privy I saw for my entire hike. Because of its proximity to a park road, there was a big bag of fresh pine shavings, smelled nice, and was very clean and new. The bear box was also beefy.

Around 6pm, another hiker, Irmin, joined me at the shelter. He's from Germany and is visiting for a few weeks to finish more of the AT. He did a section hike from GA to maybe Maryland in 2011. He's currently working his way north.

I'm glad tomorrow will be a shorter day with a hot shower waiting for me at the end. My feet are in pretty sorry shape but I'll make it through, one way or another. I can't wait to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment