Saturday, May 24, 2014

VT section hike #3, day 4

May 24, 2014
Start: Inn at Long Trail/Sherburne Pass Trail
End: Wintturi Shelter
Mileage: 18.5 (+ 0.2 for Lookout side trail + 0.2 for shelter side trail)

I started my hike at 6:40am. Originally,  I'd planned to wait for their breakfast which starts at 7am. But since I was wide awake at 5:45am, I decided to get ready and head out. On my way out the door, the lady who runs the Inn asked me if I'd like some breakfast to go. She provided me with two pieces of Irish soda bread to eat then and two pieces for later. It was a good way to start the morning.

I walked through Gifford Woods State Park and was delighted to find a bath house right on the trail. I passed by Kent Pond and Thundering Brook Falls. Then it was up Quimby Mountain. After that, there was a surprising amount of up and down before getting to Stoney Brook Shelter and again a lot of up and down to the next road. Then it was up to Lakota Lake Lookout and then to Lookout Farms cabin side trail. I arrived at Wintturi Shelter as the rain started at 3pm. It rained until 4:30pm and then cleared up nicely.

Around Kent Pond, I had to cross the rather substantial stream. There wasn't any good way across on the rocks so I thought I'd try the same thing I'd done the day before: cross on a fallen tree. This time, it didn't work out so well. I got up on the tree, took one step... and ended up straddling it. Needless to say, I figured out a way to get across the stream via rocks.

Between Thundering Brook Falls and River Road, I saw two moose on the side of the trail. I managed to get a picture this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment