Saturday, May 3, 2014

NY-NJ AT solo section hike #2 - day 3

May 3rd, 2014

Start: Wildcat Shelter
End: Jim Murray's property
Mileage: 30.7

I started at Wildcat at 6:15am. I then climbed Prospect Rock (tallest point in NY) and then crossed into NJ. 
 
From there,  I climbed Wawayanda Mountain and Pochuck Mountain. 
NJ's High Point Monument in the distance; I'll be there tomorrow
I arrived at Pochuck shelter at 4:40pm and decided to push through to Jim Murray’s. I arrived here at 7:30pm.

It was hard but I'm glad I did. Pochuck shelter has a privy but no water. Jim Murray’s has an outdoor hot shower, electricity, fresh well water, a privy, and a four sided shelter. Let me tell you, that hot shower was totally worth the extra miles I put in. It also means tomorrow is a much lighter day (18.3).
 
 
 
 
 
 

I'm sharing the shelter with Mike (Montana), a 60-something year old guy from Montana who's finishing up a thru hike he and his wife (and their two dogs) started last year but had to quit part way through because of an injury to one of the dogs. Once he finishes and gets home, she'll head out to do her hike.

Tomorrow should be a nice day with the possibility of a few afternoon showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment